Reading Kindle ebooks is not only addictive but is also contagious, in every positive way possible. Fortunately, most Kindle ebooks that are available for purchase in the Kindle Store can be given as a gift to anyone who owns an email address.
Things you should know before giving and receiving a Kindle ebook as a gift:
- The sender does not need to own a Kindle device to give a Kindle ebook gift
- The recipient does not need to own a Kindle device to receive a Kindle ebook gift
- The Kindle ebook gift can be read both on a registered Kindle device and any free Kindle reading application
- Free ebooks, ebooks on pre-order and other subscription content can’t be given as a gift (at this time)
- Kindle ebook gift’s purchases use your default 1-Click payment method. You’ll be prompted to do so during the purchase process if you don’t have a 1-Click payment method set up
- Kindle ebook gift’s purchases require a credit or debit card, even if the price of the Kindle ebook gift will be fully covered by the Amazon gift card’s credit that you might have
How to give a Kindle ebook as a gift?
1. Go to the Kindle Store, log into your Amazon account and select a Kindle ebook that you want to give as a gift.
2. Let’s say that you have selected The Hobbit, as your Kindle ebook gift to give to someone. Click the Give as a Gift button located under the Buy now with 1-Click button on Kindle Store product detail page (see image above).
3. To complete your Kindle ebook gift order, you will be given two options (see image below):
- Enter the personal e-mail address for your gift recipient
- Send the Kindle ebook gift to your own e-mail address and forward the e-mail directly to your recipient or print the email and personally deliver it to your recipient
4. At this point you can personalize your message by entering your recipient’s name and an optional gift message (see image above).
5. Enter a delivery date to schedule your email’s delivery. If you don’t select a delivery date, the Kindle ebook gift’s email notification will be delivered immediately (see image above).
Note: when you choose a delivery date, the e-mail notification will be sent to your gift recipient between 12:00 AM and 3 AM Pacific Time on the delivery date.
6. Review your gift purchase and click the Place your order button to finish your Kindle ebook gift purchase using your Kindle 1-Click payment method (see image above).
7. After finishing your Kindle ebook gift’s purchase, your gift recipient will be notified of their Kindle ebook gift at the email address that you provided (see point 3.1).
How to receive a Kindle ebook as a gift?
The recipient of your Kindle ebook gift or when you receive a Kindle ebook gift from someone, you can download the Kindle ebook gift to your Kindle device or a free Kindle reading application as follows:
1. Open the email notification that you received about your Kindle ebook gift and click the Get your gift now button. Your web browser will launch and automatically take you to your gift on Amazon.com.
2. Click the Accept Kindle Gift button and log into your Amazon account if prompted. You may also be prompted to enter a billing address to verify your location only. Note: there is no charge associated with accepting a Kindle ebook gift.
4. If you are already a Kindle user, just select the device that you would like the Kindle ebook gift delivered to from the drop-down menu.
5. If you already own the Kindle ebook gift that you just received and you’ld prefer to have something else instead or if you are not eligible to receive the Kindle ebook gift due to copyright restrictions, you can exchange it for an Amazon gift card’s credit.
Please note: to exchange your Kindle ebook gift for Amazon gift card’s credit, click on the Contact Us button on the Help pages during the redemption process or get in contact with Customer Service for assistance in exchanging the Kindle ebook gift.
Don’t have a Kindle? Get your Kindle Paperwhite here (Amazon US & International) and click here for Kindle Paperwhite (Amazon UK).