[Updated: November 27, 2014] It is very important to download and install software updates on your Kindle Fire as soon as they become available. Software updates always come with new features that were not available in previous versions. And often, they come with much better stability and increased performance as well. Hence the importance of keeping your Kindle Fire updated.
However, before downloading and installing a software update, you’ll need to determine the current software version on your Kindle Fire. Please note that for this tutorial, I am using the Kindle Fire HD 7″ 2nd Generation. So, the latest software update on my Kindle Fire should be: Your device is running Fire OS 4.5.1 (as of November 27, 2014).
How to determine the current software version
To determine the current software version on your Kindle Fire, please take these following steps:
- Make sure that your Kindle Fire is connected to a Wifi network.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to open Quick Settings and then tap Settings.
- Tap Device, tap System Updates, and then tap on the Check Now button. If you have the latest software update, it should look like this: Your device is running Fire OS 4.5.1 (see image below).
If your current software version shows a previous version, like for instance, Fire OS 4.1.1 (or older) then you’ll have to automatically download and install software updates on your Kindle Fire. Please make sure that your Kindle Fire is fully charged and connected to a WiFi network before you can download the software update.
How to automatically download and install the software update
To automatically download and install the (latest) software update on your Kindle Fire, please take these following steps:
1. Swipe down from the top of the screen to open Quick Settings and then tap Settings.
2. Tap Device Options and then tap System Updates.
3. Tap on the Check Now button. If a software update is available, your Kindle Fire will automatically download the update (see image below).
4. After you download the software update, tap on the Update button.
Note: Your Kindle Fire will restart during the software update. After the restart, the message “Installing system update” will appear on the screen. Tap on “Learn more” to read Fire OS 4.5.1 Release Notes (see images below).
When the software update has been completed, the notification “Your device has updated successfully to Fire OS 4.5.1” will appear on the screen, which you can easily clear up by taping on the Clear All button.
- Don’t have a Kindle Fire? Get your Kindle Fire HDX 7″ (Amazon US) or click here for Kindle Fire HDX 7″ (Amazon UK).
- Want to buy one from outside the US/UK? Click here to learn more about Borderlinx and click here to register to your US & UK shipping addresses with Borderlinx.