If someone would ask me what Prime membership benefits I love and enjoy the most, then my answer would definitely be Prime Reading, Prime Video, Kindle First, Audible Channels, and Prime Music — exactly in that particular order. Thanks to those Prime benefits I have been able to save some money that I would otherwise have spent on magazine’s subscriptions, ebooks, video, music, podcast, and other audio streaming services.
Of course when you are a Prime member, they are not the only five benefits that you can enjoy because there are obviously a lot more benefits to enjoy, from Amazon Family, Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, Twitch Prime to Member Exclusive on Video Games, and more. In fact, I am pretty sure that new Prime benefits will be added in the near future.
So, what is not to love about Prime membership? Well, it is the fact that Amazon does not currently allow you to pay or renew your Prime membership using your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance. It is quite disappointing if/when your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance is more than sufficient to cover your Prime membership for the next few years.
Is there anyway around it? Thankfully there is, although you won’t be able to pay or renew your Prime membership directly and automatically but you can actually use your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance to purchase the Gift of Prime, redeem it yourself and enjoy it as your own Prime Gift Membership.
Please note that the Gift of Prime is currently only available, and it can only be redeemed on Amazon.com (US).
How to pay Prime membership using your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance
- You are currently a Prime member and your membership will end within a few days.
- You are currently enjoying Prime membership using the 30-Day Free Prime Trial, your trial will end within a few days, and you want to become a Prime member.
It is recommended to purchase the Gift of Prime 1 – 2 days before your membership or your trial ends to make sure that you receive an email with details for redeeming the Gift of Prime in your inbox without any delay that could lead to disruptions of your membership.
Updates (June 25, 2017):
- If you want to become a Prime Gift Member using your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance without 30-Day Free Prime Trial, please read Update 1 below.
- If you want to give a Gift of Prime Membership to someone, please read Update 2 below.
The following are the necessary steps to purchase the Gift of Prime using your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance, cancel your current Prime membership, and to become a Prime Gift Member:
1. Go to Amazon.com and check your “Manage Prime Membership” page to find out when exactly your Prime membership will end.
2. Go to the Gift of Prime page, select the gift of Prime for 3 months or 12 months, and click the “Add Prime to Cart” button (see image above).
3. Proceed to checkout on Amazon.com (checking out the Gift of Prime on the Amazon app is not currently available), and choose the gift options. Enter your own email address (the same email address used for your Amazon account and your Prime membership) into the “Recipient’s email” box, and your preferred delivery date (see image above).
Please note that my delivery date shows “December 19, 2016” because I was purchasing it on December 19th, 2016, which was 2 days before my Prime membership ended.
4. Optionally you can personalize your gift message with a reminder when you will want to redeem it for your Prime Gift membership, etc, or leave it as a default message (see image above). Click the “Save gift options” button to continue.
5. Select a payment balance and check your available balance. It will show “Use $99.00 of your xx gift card balance.” Click the “Continue” button to continue reviewing your order.
Please note that if your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance is fewer than $99.00 (+ applicable taxes), you can still use your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance in conjunction with payment using your credit or debit card. In addition, you can reload your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance with your credit, debit, or pre-paid card.
6. Review your order. Double check and make sure that the recipient’s email and the delivery date are correct. Click the “Place your order” button to finish your order (see image below).
Please note that it will take about 15 – 30 minutes until you receive an email from Amazon Prime with details for redeeming the Gift of Prime, in which you are the recipient.
Once you have received the email with details for redeeming the Gift of Prime, the next step is preventing your credit card from being charged on the day that your membership or your trial ends by canceling the membership altogether.
7. Go to your “Manage Prime Membership” page, and click the “End Membership” link to cancel your membership.
Please note that Amazon obviously doesn’t want to lose you as a member, so you will be prompted with several options before you are finally able to cancel your membership. Just keep clicking the “End Membership” and “Continue to Cancel” buttons until you get a confirmation email about your cancellation.
Once you have received your cancellation email, it is time to use your Gift of Prime, which you have been gifted yourself, for your own Prime Gift Membership.
8. Go to your inbox and open the email with details for redeeming the Gift of Prime. Click the “Start enjoying Prime” button to redeem your Prime Gift Membership (see image above).
9. Verify your account information. You’ll be prompted with “You are signed in with email@example.com, etc”, and click the “Continue” button to confirm that you would like to use that Amazon account for your Prime Gift Membership.
Congratulations, you are now a Prime Gift Member and your membership is set to expire on xx.xx.xxxx (depending on your Prime Gift Membership date). You can set your membership to automatically continue by updating your membership setting on your “Manage Prime Membership” page.
Please note that by clicking the “Continue Membership” link, your card or another card will automatically be charged and your membership continues until cancelled. Or you can leave your membership setting as it is and pay your future Prime membership manually using your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance with the Gift of Prime again.
Update 1: If you want to become a Prime Gift Member using your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance without 30-Day Free Prime Trial, just repeat the following steps:
- Follow step 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
- Skip step 7 because you obviously do not have to end your membership if you are not yet a Prime member.
- Follow step 8 and 9.
Update 2: If you want to give a Gift of Prime Membership to someone, just repeat the following steps:
- Follow step 2.
- Follow step 3. Pay attention to the “Recipient’s email” box. Enter the gift recipient’s email address correctly. If you don’t know or you are not sure about the gift recipient’s email address, enter your own email address and then forward the redemption email later.
- Follow step 4, 5 and 6. The recipient will receive an email with details for redeeming the Gift of Prime if you entered the gift recipient’s email address (see step 3).
If you have any comment or question about how to pay Prime membership using your Amazon.com Gift Card Balance, do not hesitate to leave your comment in the comment section below. Thanks.
- Click here to order Amazon gift cards, click here to start your 30-Day Free Prime Trial or click here to order the Gift of Prime (Amazon.com/US).
- Click here to order Amazon gift cards or click here to start your 30-Day Free Prime Trial from Amazon UK.
- Klicken Sie hier um Amazon-Geschenkgutscheine zu bestellen oder klicken Sie hier um Ihre 30-Tage-Prime-Probemitgliedschaft zu starten von Amazon DE.