This blog post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read the full disclosure here.
Recently I received two specific questions about whether you would be able and how to read ebooks in Landscape (horizontal) Mode on a Kindle Paperwhite.
Please note that the software updates starting Firmware Kindle
126.96.36.199.2 have brought some major changes and new features. One of these changes goes to how to read ebooks in Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite and other Amazon e-readers (see an update down below).
Yes, you will and are able to read ebooks in the Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite. Just do not expect your Kindle Paperwhite to switch from Portrait Mode (vertical) to Landscape Mode (horizontal) automatically by itself.
Your Kindle Paperwhite, or any other Amazon e-readers for that matter, is obviously an e-reader, not a tablet, which is specially made for reading and/or listening to audible books only (the Waterproof Kindle Paperwhite comes with Audible). Hence its lack of capability to automatically switch from Portrait Mode to Landscape Mode and vice versa.
Before I go ahead, let me remind you that I’ll be splitting this tutorial into 2 sections. First off, it is going to be about how to read ebooks in Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite and other Amazon e-readers before Firmware Kindle 5.7.3, and secondly, after Firmware Kindle 5.13.2.
1.1. How to read ebooks in Landscape Mode BEFORE Firmware Kindle 5.7.3
Switching to the Landscape Mode when you are reading ebooks on your Kindle Paperwhite is very easy and quite straightforward. Just follow the following steps:
1. Tap on the On Device on your Kindle Paperwhite.
2. Open your ebook that you want to read in the Landscape Mode.
3. Tap the upper or bottom area of your Kindle Paperwhite until the Menu appears.
4. On the menu, select the Landscape Mode (see the arrow on the image above).
5. You are now reading your ebook in the Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite (see image below).
6. To switch back to the Portrait Mode, repeat step 3 and step 4: Tap the upper or bottom area of your Kindle Paperwhite until the Menu appears and select the Portrait Mode (see the arrow on the image below).
7. And you are now reading the ebook back in the Portrait Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite.
1.2. How to read ebooks in Landscape Mode AFTER Firmware Kindle 5.13.2
Switching to the Landscape Mode and switching back to the Portrait Mode when you are reading ebooks on your Kindle Paperwhite or other Amazon e-readers using Firmware Kindle 5.13.2 as follows:
1. Open your ebook that you want to read in the Landscape Mode.
2. Tap on an empty space at the top of your ebook page until the (Aa) menu appears (see image above).
3. Tap on the (Aa) menu, a navigation with Themes, Font, Layout, and More menus will appear (see image below).
4. Tap the Layout menu to view Orientation, Margins, Alignment, and Spacing sections (see image above).
5. Below Orientation, tap the Landscape Mode icon to read your ebook in the Landscape mode (see image below).
Please note that for this second section of the blog post, I am reading and using The Karla Trilogy Digital Collection Featuring George Smiley: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, The Honourable Schoolboy, Smiley’s People by John le Carré as illustration. His amazing books are my old-time favorites and are also available in Audible audiobooks, which I highly recommend to read and listen to on your Kindle Paperwhite.
6. Repeat steps 1 – 5 and tap on the Portrait Mode icon to switch back to the Portrait Mode (see image above).
Before I go, let me also remind you that this switching capability applies to viewing and reading ebooks and documents only. You are not (yet) able to switch mode when you are reading periodicals such as magazines, newspapers, and blogs.
So, that’s it. Now you can read your favorite ebooks in both Landscape and Portrait Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite or other Amazon e-readers with ease. Happy reading and of course, your questions or comments are welcome in the comment section below.
- Don’t have a Kindle? Get yours now from Amazon US, Amazon UK, or Amazon DE.
- Click here to read Kindle books using the FREE Kindle Reading App on your iOS, Android, Mac, and PC.