Please note that the software updates starting Firmware Kindle
126.96.36.199.2 have brought some major changes and new features. One of these changes goes to how to read ebooks in Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite and other Amazon e-readers (see an update down below).
Yes, you will and are able to read ebooks in the Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite. Just do not expect your Kindle Paperwhite to switch from Portrait Mode (vertical) to Landscape Mode (horizontal) automatically by itself.
Your Kindle Paperwhite, or any other Amazon e-readers for that matter, is obviously an e-reader, not a tablet, which is specially made for reading and/or listening to audible books only (the Waterproof Kindle Paperwhite comes with Audible). Hence its lack of capability to automatically switch from Portrait Mode to Landscape Mode and vice versa.
Before I go ahead, let me remind you that I’ll be splitting this tutorial into 2 sections. First off, it is going to be about how to read ebooks in Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite and other Amazon e-readers before Firmware Kindle 5.7.3, and secondly, after Firmware Kindle 5.10.2 (latest software update as of January 2019).
1.1. How to read ebooks in Landscape Mode BEFORE Firmware Kindle 5.7.3
Switching to the Landscape Mode when you are reading ebooks on your Kindle Paperwhite is very easy and quite straightforward. Just follow these following steps:
1. Tap on the On Device on your Kindle Paperwhite.
2. Open your ebook that you want to read in the Landscape Mode.
3. Tap the upper or bottom area of your Kindle Paperwhite until the Menu appears.
4. On the menu, select the Landscape Mode (see the arrow on image above).
5. You are now reading your ebook in the Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite (see image below).
6. To switch back to the Portrait Mode, repeat step 3 and step 4: Tap the upper or bottom area of your Kindle Paperwhite until the Menu appears and select the Portrait Mode (see the arrow on image below).
7. And you are now reading the ebook back in the Portrait Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite.
1.2. How to read ebooks in Landscape Mode AFTER Firmware Kindle 5.10.2
Switching to the Landscape Mode and switching back to the Portrait Mode when you are reading ebooks on your Kindle Paperwhite or other Amazon e-readers using Firmware Kindle 5.10.2 (latest software as of January 2019) as follows:
1. Open your ebook that you want to read in the Landscape Mode.
2. Tap on an empty space at the top of your ebook page until the (Aa) Page Display menu appears (see the first arrow image below).
3. Tap on the (Aa) Page Display menu, and then tap on the Font & Page Settings menu (see the second arrow image below) until the Font, Page, Reading, Themes Settings menu appears.
4. Tap the Page menu to view Spacing, Margins, Orientation, and Alignment (see image below).
5. Below Orientation, tap the Landscape Mode icon to read your ebook in the Landscape mode (see image below).
6. Repeat the steps 1 – 5 and tap on the Portrait Mode icon to switch back to the Portrait Mode (see image above).
Please note that for this second section of the blog post, I am reading and using The Late Monsieur Gallet (Inspector Maigret Book 2) by Georges Simenon as illustration. His amazing books are my new favorites and are also available in Audible audiobooks, which I highly recommend to read and listen to on your Kindle Paperwhite.
Before I go, let me also remind you that this switching capability applies for viewing and reading ebooks and documents only. You are not (yet) able to switch mode when you are reading periodicals such as magazines, newspapers, and blogs.
So, that’s it. Now you can read your favorite ebooks in both Landscape and Portrait Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite or other Amazon e-readers with ease. Happy reading and of course, your questions or comments are welcome in the comment section below.