This blog post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read the full disclosure here.
As I have always, I love reading a lot of interesting and inspiring ebooks on my Kindle. For the past few months, however, I have also been spending a lot of my time listening to Harry Potter audiobooks using the Audible app on my iPhone.
Now that I own a very naughty and demanding cat – or to be very frank – the cat owns me, I prefer listening to audiobooks to reading ebooks because it allows me to do some multitasking, including playing with my cat, feeding my cat, cleaning the house and so on.
Things are getting more and more exciting after I found out about two days ago that my Audible membership includes Audible Channels (Beta), which is unlimited listening to premium shorter programs, featuring ad-free podcasts, news, comedy and exclusive shows.
What do you need to listen to Audible Channels?
Well, to be able to listen to these premium short programs, you’ll be needing the followings:
- Your Audible membership or start your Audible 30-Day Free Trial to get two free audiobooks and Audible Channels.
- The Audible app that you can download for free on both your iOS and your Android’s devices.
How much does Audible Channels cost?
The Audible Channels is absolutely free for all of Audible members – both paying and trial Audible memberships. Click here to start Audible 30-Day Free Trial to get two free audiobooks and Audible Channels.
How to listen to Audible Channels
Once you have downloaded the Audible app onto your mobile devices (I am now using my iPhone), open the Audible app and you’ll be prompted to a short introduction to Audible Channels. Click OK to continue.
1. Tap on “Channels” (see image above) and “Explore” tab to browse all channels or tap on each category available from Providers, Business, Science to Tech.
2. Tap on the “+” button to add your favorite channels to your “Following” channels (see image above).
3. Tap on a title that you want to listen to using the streaming option (I am listening to “Apple’s First 4o Years”) and start listening.
4. Tap on the triple dots to view “Item Details”, “Download to/Delete from my Channels” or “Cancel” (see image above).
Please note that your downloaded titles will appear in the “My Channel” tab.
To be very clear, there are two ways to listen to Audible Channels:
- Streaming: you don’t need to download a title to your channel but you do need to be connected to an internet connection using Wifi or your mobile data.
- Downloding: first tap “Download to My Channel” and then, you’ll be able to listen to a title offline – without connected to an internet connection.
Let me remind you that both streaming and downloding a title on your channels require an internet connection. To make sure that you don’t use too much or all of your mobile data, you’ll have to configure the downloading settings on your Audible app, as follows:
1. Tap on “More” and then tap on “Settings” to configure your downloading settings.
2. Slide “Only on Wifi” to enable Wifi Only Download, which means that you can download content*) only on Wifi connections.
3. Slide “Stream only on Wifi” to enable Wifi Only Streaming, which means you can stream content*) only on Wifi connections.
Please note that “content” includes both your Audible Channels and your audiobooks.
I don’t know about you but I am pretty sure that I’ll be using my Audible Channels more often than my Podcasts (iTunes) due to the Audible app’s ability to immidiately stream a title that I would love to listen to. Happy listening!