This blog post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read the full disclosure here.
[Updated: March 22, 2016] If you, like me, always turn the Wifi connection on your Kindle Paperwhite OFF in order to extend its battery life, you might have missed the Kindle Paperwhite’s latest software update 5.7.3 (as of March 22, 2016). Let me remind you that the latest software update will always be delivered wirelessly and it includes general improvements for your Kindle Paperwhite.
Please note that both Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Voyage share the same firmware version (Kindle 5.7.3 as of March 22, 2016) and therefore, this tutorial for Kindle Paperwhite also applies to Kindle Voyage.
How to check the latest software update on your Kindle Paperwhite
Note: For this tutorial, I am using Kindle Paperwhite (6th Generation) and Kindle Voyage (7th Generation). To check whether this latest software update has wirelessly been downloaded and installed to your Kindle Paperwhite, you can check it as follows:
Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Device Info
When you have already had the latest software update, it should look like this (see image above). But if it shows previous software updates like for example, Kindle 126.96.36.199 or older, then tap “Update Your Kindle” to download and install the latest software update, Kindle 5.7.3.
However, if the “Update Your Kindle” is grayed out (see image above). It means that the update file is in the incorrect directory or it wasn’t transferred successfully.
To solve this issue, connect your Kindle Paperwhite with your computer and check if the update file is actually present in the root directory of your Kindle Paperwhite, not in a folder.
And if the update file is not present neither in the root directory of your Kindle Paperwhite nor in a folder, you can manually download and install the software update to your Kindle Paperwhite using the USB cable.
How to manually download and install the software update
1. Download the latest software update for Kindle Paperwhite. Click on one of the following links to download the software update file for Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Voyage directly to your computer:
- Amazon US & International: Kindle Paperwhite 6th Generation Softaware Update 5.7.3
- Amazon US & International: Kindle Voyage 7th Generation Softaware Update 5.7.3
- Amazon UK: Kindle Paperwhite 6th Generation Software Update 5.7.3
- Amazon UK: Kindle Voyage 7th Generation Software Update 5.7.3
- Amazon DE: Kindle Paperwhite 6th Generation Software Update 5.7.3
- Amazon DE: Kindle Voyage 7th Generation Software Update 5.7.3
2. Turn your Kindle Paperwhite ON and connect it to your computer using the USB cable. After the software update file has been completely downloaded, drag and drop it onto the Kindle drive.
Vital note: Drop it in the root directory of your Kindle, not in a folder.
3. Make sure that the software update file has successfully been transferred into the root directory of your Kindle. Afterward, eject your Kindle to safely disconnect it from your computer.
4. To get starting with the software update, do it as follows:
Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle (which is now visible, see image above) -> Tap OK
5. You’ll be prompted “You are about to update the software on your Kindle. Do you wish to continue?”. Tap OK to continue or tap Cancel to cancel the update process (see image below).
Your Kindle Paperwhite will start updating the latest software update and will take a few minutes to complete it. During the update process, you’ll be prompted the following notification:
Your Kindle software is updating. This can take a few minutes.
DO NOT turn your Kindle OFF during the update process.
Your Kindle will automatically restart as soon as the update is complete.
6. After the software update has been completed, your Kindle Paperwhite will automatically restart.
Note: The Update Your Kindle button will be grayed out again because the latest software update has already been installed.
6. To make sure that the latest software update, Kindle 5.7.3 has successfully been installed on your Kindle Paperwhite (see image above), read How to check the latest software update on your Kindle Paperwhite mentioned above.
- Don’t have a Kindle? Get your Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon US, Amazon UK or Amazon DE.
- Want to buy one from outside the US/UK? Click here to learn more about Borderlinx and click here to register to your US & UK shipping addresses with Borderlinx.
Do you have any question about how to manually download and install software updates on your Kindle Paperwhite and/or Kindle Voyage? Leave your question in the comment section below. Thank you!