This blog post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read the full disclosure here.
Are you an US resident, do you own a Kindle Paperwhite and are you planning to travel outside the US? Or are you, like me, non-US resident and do you own a Kindle Paperwhite? Then, you need to continue reading this blog post because there’re things that you should know when you are using Kindle Paperwhite outside the US:
1. Kindle Warranty
Kindle Paperwhite and other Amazon ereader devices that’re shipped to destinations outside the US are covered by the Kindle Limited Warranty. Extended warranty coverage is not available to customers who live outside the US.
These are two extended warranties that’re available to customers who live in the US:
- 2-Year Protection Plan plus Accident Coverage for Kindle Paperwhite, US customers only
- 2-Year Protection Plan plus Accident Coverage for Kindle Paperwhite 3G, US customers only
2. Shopping in the Kindle Store
The availability and pricing of Kindle titles in the Kindle Store varies by your country or region. There are two aspects that you’ll need to take into consideration when you’re shopping in the Kindle Store:
- The Kindle Store uses 1-Click Ordering for purchases and accepts most major credit and debit cards. All prices are listed in US Dollars ($ = USD). Your bank or credit card company may charge foreign conversion fees for credit cards that’re denominated in a supported currency other than US Dollars.
- Kindle Newspapers and Kindle Magazines that’re available to customers who live outside the US may not contain associated images, tables or graphics if downloaded using 3G. Use Wifi instead to download the full version that is available in your country. Blogs on Kindle are not available to customers who live outside the US.
3. Updating your country or region
Your country or region is displayed at the top of the Kindle Store so you know when you’re browsing the catalog of Kindle titles that’re available for your country or region. You can update your country or region by doing the following:
- Click Country Settings in Manage Your Kindle
- Click Change if the displayed country is incorrect
- Select an existing home address from your Amazon account or enter a new one
- Click Update when you’re finished
4. Using 3G outside the US
Amazon Kindle ereader devices with 3G uses GSM technology that supplies wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories with no monthly fees or annual contracts. It means, if your Kindle Paperwhite includes 3G, then you can travel around the world and still get your Kindle ebooks in under 60 seconds. If the 3G is not available in your location, you can use Wifi instead.
Note: Kindle ebooks are generally delivered in less than 60 seconds, but download times can vary based on 3G or EDGE/GPRS coverage, signal strength and file size.
5. Using Experimental Browser
You can continue to make purchases from the Kindle Store and access Wikipedia when you’re connected over 3G. Unrestricted web access is available when you’re connected over a Wifi connection. Access to the experimental browser on either 3G or Wifi may not available in some countries outside of the US.
6. Using International Subscription Service
Kindle ereader customers from the US who are traveling internationally have the option to receive periodicals from the Kindle Newsstand wirelessly for a fee or transfer files from their computer for free.
7. Charging your Kindle Paperwhite
Your Kindle Paperwhite ships along with its USB 2.0 charging cable that allows you to charge your Kindle Paperwhite from a computer. Power adapters for many other countries are also available and can be added to your order at the time of purchase or bought separately.
Kindle PowerFast International Charging Kit (for accelerated charging in over 200 countries) is an international charging solution for all micro USB Kindle tablets and Kindle ereader devices. The Kindle PowerFast International Charging Kit is a must-have charging kit when you are traveling internationally.
- Don’t have a Kindle? Get your Kindle Paperwhite here (US & International) and click here for Kindle Paperwhite (Amazon UK).
- Want to buy one from outside the US/UK? Click here to learn more about Borderlinx and here to sign up for your US & UK shipping addresses.