This blog post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read the full disclosure here.
I have been using the Edwin Jagger Lined Detail Chrome Plated Double Edge (DE) Safety Razor for only two months. Nevertheless, let me tell you that I am definitely not going back to using plastic disposable razors that I had been using for ages.
Not only are the plastic disposable razors ridiculously overpriced but they can also be a little painful to use. Obviously, they’re made of plastic — hence they’re definitely environmentally unfriendly.
Let’s take a quick look at the comparison between those plastic disposable razors and my DE safety razor. I used to use at least 8 disposable razors a month. They were not cheap and were surely wasteful.
About two months ago, I bought the Edwin Jagger’s Safety Razor with 5 Derby safety blades included for only €19.00, and a pack of 100 Derby Extra Double Edge Safety Razor Blades for only €8.90, both from Amazon.de (Germany).
Now, two months later, I have been using my first Derby blade. The blade is still as sharp as I used it for the first time and the safety razor is just great. I don’t have to do the math because it’s obvious that using this DE safety razor is A LOT cheaper (in the long run) and more eco-friendly.
How to shave with a double edge safety razor
1. Get to know the DE safety razor
Perhaps you, as I did, used to believe that a double edge (DE) safety razor is made for men only. It was and it is. Fortunately, there is also Heather Ladies Double Edged Safety Razor (Amazom.com), which is designed by Edwin Jagger exclusively for Amazon. I bought the Edwin Jagger’s DE89LBL because it’s a silver-colored DE safety razor. So it’s just a matter of my personal color preferences.
Of course, you want to get to know the DE safety razor before you use it for the first time. The DE safety razor has three parts:
- the head that covers the razor blade.
- the comb that fits between the head and the handle (the blade will be placed in between).
- the handle that you hold as you shave.
2. Get everything ready for shaving
Firstly, get the DE safety razor ready by unscrewing the handle from the head and the comb. This process unlocks the three parts of your razor. Next, place a razor blade between the head and the comb and line up all three holes in the head, razor blade, and comb. Finally, fasten your safety razor by screwing the head and the handle together.
You’ll also be needing the followings:
- A shaving cream: I use Holland & Barrett Perfectly Pure Virgin Coconut Oil, which is similar to Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Amazon.com). Glass bottled alternatives are Garden of Life Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and 365 Everyday Value Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, both from (Amazon.com).
- An aftershave lotion: I use Aloe Vera Gel similar to Amara Organics Aloe Vera Gel from Organic Cold Pressed Aloe (Amazon.com).
- A small bowl of hot water to dip the safety razor in before using it.
3. Take a shower or wash your body parts
Take a hot shower if you want to shave your legs, armpits, arms, bikini line and other body parts or simply wash a particular body part that you want to shave. Taking a shower or washing your body parts will soften the hair, so it’s easier for you to shave.
4. Start shaving
Use a small amount of shaving cream or in this case, Virgin Coconut Oil, and apply it to the skin of your body parts. Make some massage movements as you apply the shaving cream to improve the shaving result.
Please note that for this tutorial I am shaving my left arm.
Start shaving with your DE safety razor using slow and short strokes in the direction of your hair growth. Let the DE safety razor to glide smoothly over your skin, and don’t use unnecessary pressure. Rinse the DE safety razor as often as needed.
Please note that shaving against the direction of your hair growth may cause soreness and discomfort.
5. Rinse your skin and safety razor
Rinse your skin gently in cold water and pat dry with a towel. Apply the aftershave lotion or Aloe Vera Gel to condition your shaved skin.
After use, rinse your DE safety razor thoroughly and use your towel to dry it carefully. Let the DE safety razor dry completely, and never enclose a damp or wet razor.
Please keep the DE safety razor and blades well out of reach and out of sight of young children and/or pets.
And now, enjoy your smooth, silky soft skin!
- Click to order Edwin Jagger Lined Detail Chrome Plated Double Edge (DE) Safety Razor from Amazon.com (US), Amazon.co.uk (UK), or Amazon.de (Germany).
- Click to order Edwin Jagger Heather Ladies Double Edged (DE) Safety Razor from Amazon.com (US), Amazon.co.uk (UK), or Amazon.de Germany.
- Some of the items are available at AmazonFresh. Not a member yet? Start your AmazonFresh 30-day FREE Trial from Amazon.com (US), Amazon.co.uk (UK) or Amazon.de (Germany).