This blog post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read the full disclosure here.
The paperless lifestyle that I have been adopting for the past few months, has also introduced me to eco-friendly washable feminine hygiene products such as menstrual pads, panty liners, cotton pads, and related products.
I am glad that it was because the only regret I have had so far, is the fact that I have not used those washable products much earlier. I certainly wish I did!
I am pretty sure that some of you are already familiar with those washable products (the washables for short) and have known some of their disadvantages and little inconveniences compered to disposable sanitary napkins (the disposables for short).
First of all, the washable feminine hygiene products are obviously less convenient and are generally more time consuming due to their need to be washed, dried and cared for. And secondly, the initial cost for the washable feminine hygiene products is typically higher than for the disposables.
However, those disadvantages don’t come anywhere near their advantages and other benefits because of the followings:
- Whilst they are less convenient than the disposables, the washables can conveniently be washed along with your clothes and other garments in the washing machine – or hand washing.
- The initial cost for the washables is higher than for the disposables, but in the long run, it is much and much cheaper as their durability can be up to 5 years.
- The washables are eco-friendly and they do not contribute to landfill as their name suggests, they are washable and reusable.
- In addition, the washables are made of green materials that can easily be composted, whilst the disposables are made of synthetic materials that can neither be recycled or composted.
- The washables are less likely to cause rashes, irritation and contact dermatitis. Women with sensitive skin and allergies would definitely benefit from washables that are made of undyed organic materials.
Those advantages and benefits have convinced me to adopt the washable feminine hygiene products and ditch the disposables for good.
How about you? Have you adopted the washables as well? Or do you prefer using the disposables? Please share your story with us in the comment section below. Thanks!
Click here to browse Bamboo Reusable Sanitary Napkins by Heart Felt on Amazon. Have a happy and bloomy spring!