This blog post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read the full disclosure here.
[Updated January 4th, 2016] About two weeks ago, I posted a blog post called How to get started with your newly Kindle Paperwhite and get used to it. I hope that you’ve got started with your own Kindle Paperwhite. Right now, I would like to continue with some tips and tricks that I have discovered so far:
Please note that I just published the second part of Must-know tips and tricks for Kindle Paperwhite newbies (May 9th, 2017), which apply to all of Kindle e-Readers, including Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis and Kindle with Kindle Software Update 5.7.3 and newer.
Please note that both Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Voyage share the same firmware version (Kindle 5.6.5 as of January 4th, 2016) and therefore, these tips and tricks for Kindle Paperwhite also apply to Kindle Voyage.
1. How to extend battery life: Keeping WiFi turned ON at all times is a very effective way to drain your Kindle’s battery life. Unless you’re using it to download Kindle ebooks that you want to read, keep WiFi turned OFF (see image below):
Settings -> Airplane Mode -> ON
2. How to set Passcode: You are what you read and perhaps you would like to keep it to yourself by protecting the content on your Kindle (see images below):
Settings -> Device Options -> Device Passcode: Enter Passcode – Confirm Passcode – OK
3. How to decrease and increase the font: When you are reading a Kindle ebook, make a diagonal/horizontal/vertical pinch gesture to decrease the font size by one. To increase the font by one, make a diagonal/horizontal/vertical spread gesture.
4. How to remove Recommended Content: When your Kindle is set in Cover View, you’ll see recommended content from the Kindle Store, such as Popular Books for Young Readers, New & Noteworthy and so on. This recommended content can easily be removed from the screen (see image below):
Settings -> Device Options -> Personalize your Kindle -> Recommended Content -> OFF
5. How to take screenshots: Taking a screenshot is very easy. Tap the upper left corner and lower right corner at the same time or tap the upper right corner and lower left corner at the same time. The screen will flash once and refresh.
Plug the Kindle Paperwhite into your computer with the USB 2.0 charging cable to access the screenshots. These screenshots’re saved in .png format to the root of your Kindle’s drive.
6. How to to change your default dictionary: If you have only one dictionary for a particular language, then your Kindle Paperwhite will automatically set that dictionary as the default for that language. However, if you have more dictionaries, you can choose which dictionary you want as your default dictionary:
Settings -> Device Options -> Language and Dictionaries -> Dictionaries -> Select the language you want to set as your default dictionary.
7. How to download a dictionary: Last night I noticed that for some (unknown) reason my default dictonary was gone and the dictionaries collection was no where to be found. In this case, you can download a dictionary from the Cloud tab and using Search with these following keywords:
- 新华词典 (Chinese Edition) for Chinese
- Real Academia Española el Diccionario de la lengua española for Spanish
- Guida all ‘uso di Kindle (Italian Edition)
- Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch for German
- Oxford Dictionary of English for UK English
- The New Oxford American Dictionary for US English
- 现代英汉词典 (Modern Chinese) for Modern Chinese
- Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa for Brazilian Portuguese
- 大辞泉 (Japanese Edition) for Japanese
- プログレッシブ英和中辞典 (Progressive Japanese) for Progressive Japanese
- Dictionnaire français de définitions for French
The above mentioned dictionaries are free to download. Click here to purchase additional supported dictionaries in the Kindle Store.
8. How to sync the furthest page read across devices: Thanks to the Whispersync technology your Kindle Paperwhite synchronizes the furthest page location, bookmarks and annotations across your devices automatically. If it doesn’t sync automatically then you can sync it manually as well (see image below):
Device -> Open your ebook -> Tap the top right corner -> Select Sync to Furthest Page Read
9. How to remove an ebook from your Kindle: Let’s say that you’re done reading a particular ebook and you want to save some space by removing it from your Kindle Paperwhite. You can remove it as follows:
Device -> Tap a few seconds on the ebook that you want to remove until pop-up (see image below) appears -> Tap on Remove from Device
You can also apply this method for other purposes, such as:
- adding the ebook to a collection (Add to Collection)
- going to a specific part of the ebook (Go To …)
- reading the ebook’s description on the Kindle Store (Book Description). Note: an internet connection is required
- searching for a specific keywoord or a phrase within the ebook (Search This Book)
- viewing notes and marks that you’ve made on the ebook (View Notes & Marks)
- How to restart your Kindle: When you’re done reading, you can turn the screen light OFF by tapping the power button on the bottom of your Kindle Paperwhite. Keep in mind that if you keep the light screen ON, it will drain your Kindle’s battery life.
However, sometimes the Kindle Paperwhite freezes with the light screen ON. It happened to my Kindle Paperwhite yesterday. You can resolve this issue by restarting your Kindle Paperwhite (see image below):
Cloud/Device -> Setting -> Menu: select en tap Restart
Restarting your Kindle Paperwhite can also resolve other issues, such as frozen screen or issues with downloading content. In contrast to the Reset Device, tapping the Restart wil NOT de-register your Kindle Paperwhite and wil NOT remove all of the downloaded content, including Notes and Marks.
10. How to change your Kindle Paperwhite’s language: If you want to change the language of your Kindle Paperwhite from X-language to your Y-preferred language, change it as follows (see image below):
Menu -> Setting -> Device Options -> Language and Dictionaries -> Language -> Select your preferred language -> Select OK
Your Kindle Paperwhite will take a few moments to restart. You can also use this method to change your Keyboards and/or Dictionaries: Select Keyboards and/or Dictionaries on Language and Dictionaries section. More about dictionaries, read the tips and tricks no. 6.
11. How to turn the Automatic Book Update ON/OFF: Once in awhile you get an automatic email from Amazon Kindle, letting you know that there is an update available to a particular ebook. It means that you can update that particular ebook manually. From now on, it is possible to let your Kindle Paperwhite and other devices do the updating automatically by turning the “Automatic Book Update” button to ON (see image below):
Log in to your Amazon account -> Go to Manage Your Kindle -> Go to Manage Your Devices -> Click on the Turn On button (until the ON button next to your name is turned into GREEN).
Note: You can turn the Turn ON/OFF button On and Off whenever you like it.
12. How to charge Kindle Paperwhite without computer: Charging your Kindle Paperwhite is very easy when you are at home or at your office because you usually have your computer on. But what if you’re traveling without your computer? Read here about how to charge your Kindle Paperwhite without computer.
13. How to manually download and install the latest software update: The latest software update of your Kindle Paperwhite will automatically be delivered when you’re Wifi/3G connected. But what to do if your Kindle Paperwhite does not even detect the newest software updates? Read here about how to manually download and install the latest software update to your Kindle Paperwhite.
14. How to send any type of file to Kindle Paperwhite: You love reading on your Kindle Paperwhite but you’re wondering how to send pictures, maps, family trees, other images and various documents to your Kindle Paperwhite? Read here about how to send any type of file to your Kindle Paperwhite.
15. How to lend and borrow Kindle ebooks: Reading Kindle ebooks is educative, relaxing and fun. Thing only get better if you can share it with friends and relatives. If you want to share all the fun of reading with loved ones by lending or borrowing Kindle ebooks to and from them, read this blog post about How to lend and borrow Kindle ebooks to and from anyone you choose.
16. How do you know that your Kindle Paperwhite is charging: There are 2 ways to know that your Kindle Paperwhite is charging properly:
- The battery icon will turn into an “electric” battery icons when it is charging (see image above). It will turn back into its usual battery icon when your Kindle Paperwhite is fully charged.
- The power indicator (at the bottom of Kindle Paperwhite) will turn ORANGE when it is charging. It will turn GREEN when your Kindle Paperwhite is fully charged.
17. How to extend Kindle Paperwhite while traveling: Are you going to travel and do you want to read lots of books on your Kindle Paperwhite while traveling. Read about How to extend Kindle Paperwhite battery life while traveling.
18. How to read ebooks in Landscape Mode on Kindle Paperwhite: Switching to the Landscape Mode when you are reading ebooks on your Kindle Paperwhite is quite easy. Just follow these following steps on How to read ebooks in Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite.
- Don’t have a Kindle? Get your Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon US (US and International), Amazon UK or Amazon DE.
- Want to buy one from outside the US/UK? Click here to learn more about Borderlinx and click here to register to your US & UK shipping addresses with Borderlinx.
Don’t you see your questions? Ask your questions in the comment section below. I’ll try to answer them or perhaps other readers would also like to share their answer.